In this article:
Learn from the following videos on how to create a schedule to start adding on-call users to get notified.
Required User Permissions
Users with the following roles can create, edit, and manage on-call schedules.
- Manager roles and Team-based roles
- Manager team roles can only manage schedules associated with their team.
- Global Admin
- Account Owner
Basic schedules are most often comprised of a single schedule layer, where you’ll add users on a daily or weekly rotation. You can use layers to organize shifts visually so that you can tell at a glance what days and hours a shift covers.
To create a new schedule,
- From the main web interface, navigate to Configurations --> Schedules and click Add New On-Call Schedule.
- Give a name for the Schedule.
- Set the Time Zone as desired. By default, this time zone is set to account-level time zone.
- Step 1: Add Users: In the Select a User dropdown, select all of the users you would like to add to the rotation.
- Users rotate through their on-call responsibilities from top to bottom. You can drag and drop users to adjust their on-call order.
- Step 2: Set Up an On-Call Rotation: In the Rotation type dropdown, select daily, weekly, or custom.
- This value determines how frequently the users from Step 1 change on-call responsibilities.
- For custom rotation types, enter a value for Rotation length and then select hours, days, or weeks.
- Select a Handoff time to determine specifically when responsibilities should rotate.
- Optional: Configure the schedule to Restrict on-call shifts to specific times.
- Step 3: Start Time for This Layer: The Start time for this layer is automatically populated from the information in Step 2, however you can optionally change it so that it takes effect at a future date and time.
- Review the Shift and click Save Schedule in the bottom left.
Note: Multiple shifts can be added using + Add Shift.
- Important: Next, you will need to connect a schedule to a service via escalation policy. A schedule is intended to be connected to a service via escalation policy so that on-call users can be notified about a situation on that service. If you do not add your schedule to an escalation policy, situation notifications will not be sent to users on-call in your schedule.
Please sign in to leave a comment.