A minimum of one target is to be assigned in order to create an Escalation policy. A target can be either a user or a schedule.
User Targets: Select users as targets if you always want a specific person to be notified when a situation is triggered, assigned, or escalated to their level on an escalation policy.
Schedule Targets: Select on-call schedules as targets if you want to notify the user who is currently on-call when a situation is triggered, assigned, or escalated to the schedule’s level on an escalation policy.
Limits on Escalation Policies
You can add any number of escalation rules to an escalation policy.
Repeat an Escalation Policy
You have the option to repeat an escalation policy any number of times. Once an escalation policy reaches the number of loops configured, the situation will stay assigned to the last user and will not continue to notify once it has cycled through all of the responder's contact methods.
Notifying too many users at once runs the risk of creating confusion about who owns a situation. With this in mind, multi-user notifications on each escalation level are limited to a maximum of 10 including schedules.
With a single target on an escalation rule, the minimum escalation timeout is 1 minute. These restrictions are displayed in the web app.
Escalation Policy Changes
A situation follows the escalation policy’s structure as it was when the situation triggers. Changes made to an escalation policy after a situation triggers will not affect any triggered or acknowledged situations.
On-Call Hand-off Notification Settings
On-call hand-off notifications (OCHONs) can notify users up to 48 hours before they go on-call and are configured on a user's profile. There are a few escalation policy-related items to be aware of to make sure users receive OCHONs:
- The target user must have on-call hand-off notifications configured.
- The user must be a target of the escalation policy.
- The escalation policy must be set to send OCHONs.
- If the escalation policy is attached to a service, the Resolution Intelligence® will automatically send OCHONs. If it is not attached to a service, instructions to turn them on follow:
- Navigate to Configurations --> Escalation Policies.
- Click the name of your desired escalation policy. Then, click Edit Escalation Policy.
- In the Send On-Call Handoff Notifications dropdown, select Always.
- Click Update Escalation Policy.
Please sign in to leave a comment.